How do I serve a Summons (Family Law) and Petition-Marriage/Domestic Partnership (Family Law)?

How do I serve a Summons (Family Law) and Petition-Marriage/Domestic Partnership (Family Law)?

A Family Law Summons (FL-110) and a Family Law Petition (FL-100) for dissolution of marriage may be served either by personal or by substituted service, in the same manner as a summons in all Civil actions (Family Code 2040). The FL-110 has standard restraining orders keeping the respondent from disposing of, or taking funds from, community property bank accounts, stock portfolios, and other investments or shared assets, etc. (Family Code 240). The standard restraining order goes into effect immediately when personally served. If the documents are Sub-served, the restraining order doesn't go into effect until 5 days after the service.

The Summons/Petition can also be served by mail if you and your spouse or domestic partner are cooperating on your family law case. Someone 18 years or older (NOT you), that is not involved in the case, preferably a Registered Process Server, must mail your documents along with 2 copies of the Notice of Acknowledgment of Receipt (Family Law) (FL-117). 

For more information regarding the service of a Summons/Petition click here.

To Order Services Click Here!
    • Related Articles

    • How do I serve a Civil Law Summons and Complaint?

      A Civil Law Summons (SUM-100) and Complaint may be served either by personal or substituted service, or by Mail along with 2 copies of the Notice and Acknowledgement of Receipt - Civil (POS-015). (CCP 415.10, CCP 415.20, CCP 415.30) The Summons and ...
    • How much does it cost to serve a Civil Law Summons/Complaint?

      The fee is determined by the manner of service and whether or not it is a Routine Service. If the job is Routine the fee is $125 per party/per address if the documents can be Sub-Served. If the documents must be personally served for whatever reason ...
    • How do I serve an Summons/Complaint for Unlawful Detainer?

      An Unlawful Detainer is a lawsuit to evict a tenant, usually for non-payment of rent, but also for the purpose of simply getting rid of a tenant for any reason.  The Summons in an Unlawful Detainer action has only five (5) day response time, as ...
    • What is your service area?

      At Temecula Attorney Services Company, Inc (TASC), is a NATIONWIDE Process Serving company. We've been in business since 2004 and have created a reliable network of bonded and registered process servers located throughout California as well as the ...
    • How do I serve a Prejudgment Claim of Right to Possession?

      A Prejudgment Claim of Right to Possession is a Plaintiff (CP10.5) optional procedure. If Plaintiff requests this procedure, the following must be done. First and foremost, unlike other civil documents that can be served by anyone over the age of ...